Sunday, January 16, 2011

In Honor of Granny

This week I lost a very important woman in my life – Granny Aileen.  Before I left for Ireland, I visited her in the hospital.  She and I had a wonderful conversation about some of the many trips she had taken throughout her life.  Granny Aileen loved to travel almost as much as she loved food.  We joked that once I got back from Ireland, I would teach her how to river dance and she made me promise to tell her all about the food in Ireland.

Since I have been in Ireland, I have done quite a bit of cooking of my own.  In my grandmother’s honor, I made her famous chicken salad with grapes this week.  It was not as perfect as hers, but it tasted so much like home that I ate the entire batch in one day.  I have also made tacos, hot chicken and cheese sandwiches, and various pasta dishes.  My cooking skills are basic at best, but I am trying.  I can remember when I was a little girl, Granny Aileen told me that she could not boil water when she first got married (she was sixteen).  It is hard to imagine a time when she could not cook – this woman was a whiz in the kitchen.  Every Christmas and Easter she would cook enough for a small army, making the most amazing candies, cakes, and cookies.  There was nothing that she could not make.  I remind myself of this as I struggle to whip up a meal – skill will come with time. 

For Granny, family and food were her top priority.  And I have found this to be true for the Irish.  The day after Granny died, I learned that my Irish mother’s husband unexpectantly passed as well.  At the young age of 56, he had a heart attack.  I had been dealing with the grief of my grandmother’s passing fairly well until that point – I had been removed from the realities of death, but suddenly I was looking it straight in the eye.  I walked past the family’s drapery shop to find it closed with a black bow on the door’s handle.  The next day I went to the visitation.  As I paid my condolences to the family for their loss, I thought of nothing but my grandmother.  How I wanted to go home and be at her visitation.  I felt a deep guilt that I could not be there when she had been there for me throughout my entire life.

But since I cannot be home right now, I have decided to experience Ireland in her honor.  I will eat amazing food, have enriching experiences, and try to live life without regret.  As I stroll down the streets of Listowel, I can feel her walking with me, encouraging me to stop in every bakery and try all the different kinds of sweets.  She would love it here. 

 Granny Aileen

3 comments:

  1. Love ya Holly! :-) Sounds to me like she wouldn't want you to regret not being there. Experiencing Ireland in her honor sounds like the best idea! I'm praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very moving Holly. It takes such courage to embrace this and move forward with positivity. You are one of the strongest, bravest, most deserving-of-all-things-good person that I know. I have a wee tear threatening to come from this post! Love you so much, embrace everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. holly i love you and i'm praying for you. i think the cooking sounds wonderful! miss you!

    ReplyDelete